Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Letter to New West Council


Dear Mayor and Council, New Westminster;
I am writing in regards to 57 Sixth Street and the proposal to build a high rise, rental-only building on that site. I don't oppose development in principle, I support what New West is doing around town, with respect to most of the developments. I am a relatively new resident of New West, having moved here from Vancouver about 3 years ago.
I used to live at 14 Begbie Street but had to move due to the constant state of construction and what that does to a neighbourhood for an extended period of time. Again, I am not against development but I believe in responsible development. It seems that every corner of this town is under attack from the developer class. This is a major flaw in the civic politics of the city of Vancouver and I do hope the city of New West is not going to find itself going down that road. The lure of an accelerated tax base is exciting for a city that has been quite stagnant for some time.

We are a young family that plan to stay in New West and grow within this community. The thought of a massive tower that caters to renter-only, closet sized apartments is a bit off putting, to be honest.
I see that the New West council just stipulated that the next Marinus Tower have more 2 and 3 bedroom suites, before they proceed, so it is obvious that this town council listens to its citizens and their wishes, so I have much hope that their voices will be heard again, on this latest issue.
I am not writing you to be a thorn in your side or to be a NIMBY person, who wants the door shut behind them.
I just want the New West Council to know that there is a well informed citizenry in the community who care about the future of their neighbourhoods and hope that you will proceed with caution.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,
Tony Durke.

No comments:

Post a Comment