Saturday, September 29, 2012

best man

Heath C. Griffey (Castle)
1972.
Nanaimo
graduated with honours
Tattoo of a scorpion on the side of his head
Moved to Edmonton to manage a Pizza Hut
Moved back
Got a motorcycle
Got pulled over
more than once
I met him in 95
He was living in a van
saving pennies
for a trip to central America
We went commercial fishing
up the North coast and Haida Gwaii
This was how we got to know each other
He left for central America
I went fishing again
We became good friends
Talking late into the night about the way things ought to be
Heath met Su
They seemed to me, to be in love instantly
It was New Year's Eve
Su was wearing leopard print
and a pill box hat if I remember correctly
Boom!
Ravenne was on the way
What a prize!
Over the years, we never drifted apart
They moved to Gold river
they came back
There has been a sailboat present through all of this
Inflatables, paddles, outboards, ropes
Rainshadow, Columbia
Many things sorted during a sail
One of my best friends for life
Energy
Confidence
And he gave it to you
that, I am convinced of
8,000 kilometres on a bicycle
followed by a year of intense yoga training
has us all in awe
Now the three are off on an unparalleled journey
Their lives forever changed
Heath understands people
He gets them
And they get that he gets them
I have watched people that met him 5 minutes previous
tell him their deepest secrets
I have certainly told him all of mine
Without having a father
you succeed at being one
And you found your way
without a map
Safe journeys  



No comments:

Post a Comment