Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Spences Bridge


It was late afternoon
in Spences Bridge
Dad was asleep in the tent
and I wanted to walk and get beer
The Sun was shining for the first time in days
and the fire burned itself out
I had collected enough firewood
to restart it after I got back.
I considered taking my music player
but decided it was better to hear
the river
the birds
the wind
the occasional passing car
Two songbirds were nesting in a distant tree
I saw the male fly into a hole
and give food to it's young
The bridge was rusty and old
but looked as if it had been there for millennia
and it could be there for another
I stood and watched the flow of the river
The water was much higher than usual
The spring rains and excess snow melt
left the banks breached and taken
Our camp was only a metre above high water
When I reached the other side of the bridge
I could hear country music
Two muscle cars passed me
and I saw the pub in the distance
I hoped that they would have off sales
When I approached, I suddenly felt
like a smoke drenched drifter
I had not showered in a few days
and the wood smoke was deep into my clothes
and probably my skin
I ached for a shower
but I ached for a cold beer more
So, in I went
A middle aged woman
dressed in an evening gown
and reeking of a freshly smoked marijuana
fetched me a six pack and wished me well
I guessed they probably saw all kinds in here
from time to time
The town had a real lonely feel to it
but I felt strangely pleased
As I walked back over the bridge
I passed a First Nations guy
who stopped and asked me where I was going
I answered that I was headed to the camp up the way
He said that it was warm and to have fun
He wore no shirt
and I wondered where he was walking to
I arrived back at the campsite and Dad was still resting
I started another fire
using the available coals and bark
I opened a beer
and started make dinner upon the propane stove
Dad woke and came out and sat down
He seemed kind of vulnerable and I thought
how much he meant to me
and how lucky I was to have him in my life
We sat in relative silence
not really needing words
this can happen after spending time
you can communicate without talking
Words can mean less than a look
The sky darkened and the fire rolled on
We ate dinner and stared up into the sky
The sparks danced
trains passed in the night
It will all be alright
in the end
I think

No comments:

Post a Comment