Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dear Government...


Dear Government: It's me, Tony. Again. I must be sounding like a broken record over this whole seal thing. It is something that I really feel strongly about and I am not going to go away. Neither are all the other people that know the commercial seal hunt is a mistake for this country.
It is not just me that is saying this, though, is it? The voices are becoming louder and bigger every day. The EU has banned it, Russia has banned it, the US banned it years ago.
But, good old Canada just keeps trucking along, don't we? Our heads up our asses.
What are we possibly gaining with this? Please, let me in on the secret, because I cannot figure it out. We cannot possibly be making any money on it anymore, what with all the markets no longer buying. Are you buying votes with seal pelts? I mean, a few votes from fishers and trappers in Labrador can't be holding this government up.
Why don't you buy out these licenses? It makes good economic sense. And good political sense. The world won't hate us anymore. Well, there is still the Kyoto thing but we won't get into that right now.
I know you guys are concerned about those fishers out there in the Gulf, but why don't you send them out here to BC, where they can be re-trained as software developers?
EA is huge here and Microsoft is opening a thing here.
Maybe they can develop a game called "seal clubber", where you get to go out on the ice and club fictitious baby seals. Everyone wins. The seals don't suffer, the fishers get new jobs, the government pats itself on the back and says, "Look what we did!"
And that, my friends, is politics.
Think about it.
Stop the hunt. Seriously. Do the right thing.
Sincerely,
Tony Durke

No comments:

Post a Comment