Thursday, December 8, 2011

Talking Science with Creationists


I must start this writing by first apologising to the 4 people that read, and lately just check, this blog, for leaving them with the longest dry spell in the history of us bothering to write it all down...
I really have just been busy with my visual arts. I have not been making too many new pieces, I have undertaken the whole marketing side of my art. Which is not ideal because I am an artist, not a marketer. And until I sell a pile of art and have tons of shows, I cannot expect any form of professional representation, especially not in this art desert that is Vancity. Oh, I guess it isn't that bad. There are plenty of savvy Vancouverites who have a keen eye for the visual, they just need to be herded like sheep or led to the trough. Sorry for all the animal references but how could I resist in the face of a city rioting over the outcome of a hockey game? Those Fraser Valley punks wrecked our city. It certainly wasn't us, that's for sure...
Blame it on Langley or Surrey because they are so far away.
Just a Skytrain away, at time of printing.

I also work 12 hours a day, lighting, for films and television shows. This can take away from the artist and the writer. The writer needs discipline more than all the others because it is the thing that seems so much like work. And it is. You mine your own head for words.

It is hard to market anything you do, because you are really just offering yourself as a commodity, or what you make as a product.
How do you look at your own creations and discern the cost? What is the cost? Time? Materials? Surely, not that, considering that all the wood and paint is scrap.
For a guy that is at work 65 hours a week, I guess time could be considered a real commodity.

I do know that to be selling a few paintings that are the culmination of years of practice and refinement of skills is an experience that is fulfilling. But not nearly as fulfilling as making the painting itself. In fact, I am sad when they go.

I also have news fatigue. I cannot face the daily barrage all the time, I have to withdraw a bit, listen to a bit of Boards of Canada on the way to work, instead of the CBC news. It's good to know what is happening but not at the expense of my well being.
The world is a vampire and it will suck you dry if you let it.
There seems to be many chirping fools out there, of late and they are getting all the airplay.
We all choose tyranny over anarchy
Which is the way of things
But not in the way that everybody sees it.

To make art...
is freedom



No comments:

Post a Comment