Sunday, December 5, 2010

Security. Fuck yeah.

Airports always make me a bit apprehensive. I am not sure if it is the physical trip that lies ahead, replete with the 700 mile an hour jettison through the sky in a metal tube, breathing recycled air that makes my nose burn on inhalation. Perhaps it is the never-boring security checkpoints that you must pass through in order to spend 9 hours in an airport in a country that you would rather skip altogether, if it were not for the fact that the plane you are on needs to stop there to refuel. As I approach the ubiquitous scanner/search/de-moralization/checkpoint charlie area, where the shoes are removed, along with your belt, so that all manner of your remaining human pride is quashed, not unlike how they strip you down and search and seize when you have been caught drunk in a public space or have been caught trying to defend your democracy/nature/human rights/animals/peace. It is an age old tactic of making citizens feel like douche bags, even if they are the most stand up people.
You are at the mercy of the people who make the rules. If you question/joke/interpret/disobey, you can kiss your holiday/business trip/freedom goodbye.
Some people like this because it makes them feel safe. Believe me, people, the terrorists have won. Every time I submit myself to this faux exercise of the appearance of security, I am made to feel like a common criminal just for wanting to board an airplane. I can assure you, the next big 9/11 type attack will be nowhere near an airport or an airplane, rather it will be at a mall or some place like that. Then we will have to go through search procedures just to go to fucking Target to buy socks that are on sale. Make no mistake about it, my friends, the first world obsession with security is futile at best. If even a fraction of the time, money and effort that is spent on making us feel safe on the way to Cabo, were spent on people and cultures around the World that must live without, so that we can live with, there would be a lot less angry people who may want to do us harm.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have to finish that glass of merlot before our descent into LA...

No comments:

Post a Comment