Friday, October 16, 2009

3 weeks, no coffee...

It has been 3 weeks since I stopped drinking coffee. It has been grueling and, like when you are trying to beat any addiction, you ask yourself why you are even quitting in the first place. When I quit smoking, I did this for what seemed like a year or more. But quitting smoking was much harder to kick than coffee. Quitting coffee is hard because it is ritualistic, comforting, gives you energy, etc. All addiction is ritualistic, though, isn't it? Whether you are cooking crack in a spoon with baking soda or ammonia, or grinding up coffee, filtering, pouring, drinking, there is a very comforting and familiar ritual that you have tied to this repetitive act.
Basically, you just want to get that shit into you, no matter what poison it is. 
I am still drinking tea, mostly because I am in need of some sort of 'fix' to carry out my life in what I deem to be a fairly normal existence.
Normal in the way that a guy who lives in a basement and writes songs about the government and loves humanity but hates people, feels normal.
My addictions have been scaling down of late, even the addiction of defending my own twisted logic to others that just don't see the world the way I see it, which is, of course, the only way. Ideologues are fine, if they match what I see as optimal. Got it? Good, let's move on...
How did I segue from coffee into Team America, World Police, you ask? Simple. I just do it. Take a look for yourselves. It isn't hard. 
But, I have discovered that tea has it's own little rituals. Like soaking the bag, stirring, heating up water, etc. These are all things that will keep my A.D.D. hands moving, as I offer them less and less to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment